3. And he told them many things in parables,
"Listen! A sower went out to sow.
4. And as he sowed, some seeds fell on the path, and the birds came
and ate them up.
5. Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much
soil, and they sprang up quickly, since they had no depth of soil.
6. But when the sun rose, they were scorched; and since they had
no root, they withered away.
7. Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked
8. Other seeds fell on good soil and brought forth grain, some a
hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
9. Let anyone with ears listen!"
10. Then the disciples came and asked him, "Why do you speak
to them in parables?"
11. He answered, "To you it has been given to know the secrets
of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.
12. For to those who have, more will be given, and they will have
an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have
will be taken away.
13. The reason I speak to them in parables is that 'seeing they do
not perceive, and hearing they do not listen, nor do they understand.'
14. With them indeed is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah that says:
'You will indeed listen, but never understand, and you will indeed
look, but never perceive.
15. For this people's heart has grown dull, and their ears are hard
of hearing, and they have shut their eyes; so that they might not
look with their eyes, and listen with their ears, and understand
with their heart and turn-- and I would heal them.'
16. But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they
17. Truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to
see what you see, but did not see it, and to hear what you hear,
but did not hear it.
18. "Hear then the parable of the sower.
19. When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand
it, the evil one comes and snatches away what is sown in the heart;
this is what was sown on the path.
20. As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears
the word and immediately receives it with joy;
21. yet such a person has no root, but endures only for a while,
and when trouble or persecution arises on account of the word, that
person immediately falls away.
22. As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears
the word, but the cares of the world and the lure of wealth choke
the word, and it yields nothing.
23. But as for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears
the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and yields, in
one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty."
2. He began to teach them many things
in parables, and in his teaching he said to them:
3. "Listen! A sower went out to sow.
4. And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and the birds came
and ate it up.
5. Other seed fell on rocky ground, where it did not have much soil,
and it sprang up quickly, since it had no depth of soil.
6. And when the sun rose, it was scorched; and since it had no root,
it withered away.
7. Other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked
it, and it yielded no grain.
8. Other seed fell into good soil and brought forth grain, growing
up and increasing and yielding thirty and sixty and a hundredfold."
9. And he said, "Let anyone with ears to hear listen!"
10. When he was alone, those who were around him along with the twelve
asked him about the parables.
11. And he said to them, "To you has been given the secret of
the kingdom of God, but for those outside, everything comes in parables;
12. in order that 'they may indeed look, but not perceive, and may
indeed listen, but not understand; so that they may not turn again
and be forgiven.'"
13. And he said to them, "Do you not understand this parable?
Then how will you understand all the parables?
14. The sower sows the word.
15. These are the ones on the path where the word is sown: when they
hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the word that is sown
16. And these are the ones sown on rocky ground: when they hear the
word, they immediately receive it with joy.
17. But they have no root, and endure only for a while; then, when
trouble or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately
they fall away.
18. And others are those sown among the thorns: these are the ones
who hear the word,
19. but the cares of the world, and the lure of wealth, and the desire
for other things come in and choke the word, and it yields nothing.
20. And these are the ones sown on the good soil: they hear the word
and accept it and bear fruit, thirty and sixty and a hundredfold."
4. When a great crowd gathered and people
from town after town came to him, he said in a parable:
5. "A sower went out to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some
fell on the path and was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate
6. Some fell on the rock; and as it grew up, it withered for lack
7. Some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew with it and choked
8. Some fell into good soil, and when it grew, it produced a hundredfold." As
he said this, he called out, "Let anyone with ears to hear listen!"
9. Then his disciples asked him what this parable meant.
10. He said, "To you it has been given to know the secrets of
the kingdom of God; but to others I speak in parables, so that 'looking
they may not perceive, and listening they may not understand.'
11. "Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
12. The ones on the path are those who have heard; then the devil
comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may
not believe and be saved.
13. The ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word,
receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believe only for
a while and in a time of testing fall away.
14. As for what fell among the thorns, these are the ones who hear;
but as they go on their way, they are choked by the cares and riches
and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.
15. But as for that in the good soil, these are the ones who, when
they hear the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and
bear fruit with patient endurance.
a sower went out. He filled his hands
(with seeds), (and) he scattered (them). 9.2 Some
fell on the path, and the birds came and pecked them up.
fell on the rock, and did not take root in the soil, and they did
not put forth ears.
9.4 And others fell among the
thorns, they choked the seeds,
and worms ate them.
9.5 And others fell on good soil,
and it produced good fruit.
It yielded sixty
per measure and one hundred twenty per measure."