My Blog, Myself
(Don't forget to use your browser's View, Reload command to be sure you have
the latest iteration.)
(class LJ blogs)
Department of Psychology
Topics and Assignments
- August 31: D2 Introduction: memexes, blogs, selves
introduction – RealMedia required)
- September 2: As we may think
- September 7: first writing assignment discussed
- September 9: More on memexes
- September 14: Our LJ experience so far
- September 16: Blogs and biographies
- September 21: Zuern, McNeill, sample blogs
- Spetember 23: The writing assignment discussed
- September 24: Assignment 2 due
- September 28: Blogs and Politics
- September 30: Identity (take 1)
- October 4, October 6: Tutorial sessions: Sharpless 407: Peer
- October 5: Playing in the MUD
- October 7: Identity (take 2)
- October 8-18: Fall Break
- October 19: Blogs and IM
- October 21: AIM conversations, up close
- October 26: A survey of AIM at the 'Ford, elsewhere
- Octgober 28: Close readings of AIM logs
- November 1: McNeill papers revisions due, tutorials 1,2 meet
- November 2: My vote, myself
- November 3: Tutorial 3 meets
- November 4: The AIM conversations piece of the next paper (assignment)
- November 9: no class
- November 11: The psychologist studies IM conversations
- November 15: Tutorial 1, tutorial 2
- November 16: The social science of cyberspace
- November 7: Tutorial 3
- November 18: The fiction of cyberspace
- November 23: Virtual worlds, real societies?
- November 30:Virtual worlds, redux
- December 2: Gender, cyberpersons, and the final
- Honey, M., et al. (1991)
- Honey, M., & McMillan, K. (1996)
- December 7: The memex reconsidered
- December 9: Bringing it all back home
- Hacker, Diana. (2004).
A pocket style manual, 4th
edition. Boston: Bedford/ St. Martin’s.
- Bush, V. (1945). As we may think.
The Atlantic Monthly.
P. (2000). Icy
you ... juicy me. from The New English Library Book of Internet
- Curtis, Pavel. (1992). Mudding: Social Phenomena in Text-Based Virtual
- Davis, D.A. (2003). Milennial
v. 89, 1, 19-22.
- Davis, D.A. (1994-1995). Erotic computing.
- Honey, M., et al. (1991). Girls
and design: Exploring the question of technological imagination. Center for Children and Technology.
Technical Report No. 17.
- Honey, M., & McMillan, K. (1996). Case
Studies of K-12 Educators' Use of the Internet. Center for Children and Technology.
CCT Reports, 5.
- LambdaMOO: An Introduction. www.lambdamoo.info
- Markey, P.M., & Wells, S.M. (2002). Interpersonal
perception in Internet chat rooms. Journal of Research in Personality.
- McNeill, L. (2003). Teaching
an old genre new tricks: The diary on the internet. Biography, 26. (11 pp.)
- Niederhoffer, K.G. & Pennebaker,
J.W. (2002). Linguistic
style matching in social interaction. Journal of Language and
Social Psychology, 21, 337-360.
- Pew Internet and American
- Rheingold, Howard. The
Virtual Community: Homesteading on the Electronic Frontier. New York:
Addison-Wesley, 1993. www.rheingold.com
- Rheingold, Howard. (n.d.). Smart
Mobs: The Next Social Revolution. www.rheingold.com
- Schwartz, J. Silicon
dreams: Real life and virtual life intersect as technology affects the
way we think and live. Washington Post, May 17, 2000.
- Serpentelli, Jill. (1992). Conversational
Structure and Personality Correlates of Electronic Communication. Haverford
College Psychology Thesis.
- Stern, A. (1999). Creating
Emotional Relationships With Virtual Characters. Chapter in Emotions
in Humans and Artifacts, eds. R. Trappl, P. Petta, and S.Payr,
MIT Press, April 2003.
- Turkle, Sherry. (1994).
and Reconstructions of the Self in Virtual Reality. Mind, Culture, and
Activity, 1, 3, Summer 1994. web.mit.edu/sturkle/www
- Turkle, S. (1995). Life
on the Screen: Identity in the Age of the Internet. New York: Simon
and Schuster. Chapter 7: Aspects
of the Self. Chapter 10: Identity
- Walker, Janice R. MOOs and MUDs. www.georgiasouthern.edu/~jwalker/
- Weiss, J. (1994). Virtual
- Yee, N. (2002). Mosaic: Stories
of Digital Lives and Identities. www.nickyee.com
- Young, Robert M. (1996). Primitive
processes on the Internet. human-nature.com/rmyoung
- Zuern, J. (2003). Online lives:
Introduction. Biography, 26.
Blogs, Web Tools, Playthings